In Jordan, a safe haven for refugees.
Over the years, Jordan has served as a safe haven for refugees fleeing the violence in neighboring Palestine, Iraq, and finally Syria. Jordan is home to a relatively large refugee population. According to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), Jordan is home 1.9 million Palestinian refugees; and over 1.5 million Iraqis who have settled permanently since the beginning of the Iraqi conflict.
Since the onset of the Syrian crisis, over 1 million Syrian refugees fled Syria escaping the violence seeking refuge in Jordan. Approximately 80 percent of Syrian refugees in Jordan live in urban areas, such as Al-Ramtha in the north of Jordan, which is right across the border from the city of Deraa in Syria. The remaining 20 percent live in refugee camps. Those living outside the camps often struggle to pay rent and are heavily reliant on alternative sources for help, including charity from private donors and NGO’s.
The migration of thousands of refugees has overwhelmed the Jordanian government and local agencies. The humanitarian needs of this growing population is immense and on the rise. Local and international humanitarian NGO’s such as Baitulmaal AHED began to assist Syrian refugees by providing humanitarian assistance.
Baitulmaal launched various campaigns over the past three years to assist the displaced through family sponsorships, housing, food programs, and medical assistance.